Wednesday, April 14, 2010

More of Wyoming

I've stopped for the day and thought I'd write a bit and upload some pictures before heading to the brew pub down the way for imbibing and dinner. 

Last night I checked out the bar in the hotel.  Sat with four men -- one a good ole boy, two in process of becoming the same, and one wannabe.  They didn't pay much attention to me and while I tried not to look interested in them, I did listen in to their conversation.  It's hard to say exactly what they do for a living but travel must be part of it.  The good ole boy handed out his hard earned wisdom to the two in process.  They listened respectfully.  The wannabe kept interupting and making jokes.  His was the only laughter.  At one point, they talked of Jackson Hole and though they didn't use the word, I believe they were discussing prostitutes.  Favors and payment were mentioned.  Here the good ole boy definitely had the ears of the other three.  He told of his exploits and explained how to choose a partner.  I think they may have finally recognized that I was within earshot as there was a sudden lowering of their voices and I could hear no more.  I wonder what tonight will bring.

The drive today was definitely out of the wild west.  I saw three different herds of deer grazing.  Horses and cattle abound.  Ranch complexes are few and far between.  The grazing land goes as far as the eye can see.  On my left were snow covered mountains; on my right, the scruffy rolling land I think of as western.  I stopped a number of times to take pictures or to check out a historic site.  Tomorrow I will be in Bozeman and visiting with Jeana.

I checked out Fort Laramie, closed until May.  Pretty desolate place.










This must have been a busy place in its day.  Wagon trains came by here and counted on the soldiers stationed here to keep them safe.


I went miles without seeing a tree as I drove across Wyoming.

At first the only snow I saw was on the distant mountain tops.  As I drove along and went higher, I found patches of snow on either side of me, only in gullies or what must have once been high drifts but snow, nonetheless.


Ever heard of a Jackalope?  I saw one.


In this country, sometimes you have to go down to find the best sights.  I checked out Ayres Natural Bridge which rather than being on level with the scenery in the earlier pictures, is at the bottom of a ravine.  This was sighted on the way.


Ayres Natural Bridge.  Just me, nature, and the caretaker who was readying the park for the upcoming tourist season.


More of the park.  Do you see the Indian face?

I've been talking about cattle.  Thought I'd show you a few.  I've also seen alpaca and emu but not nearly as often.


It's time to head to the pub.  More tomorrow or as soon as I find the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment