Monday, April 12, 2010

Kansas City

It's very early in the morning and I'm packing up to head for the great American frontier following in the footsteps of those who trod upon the Oregon Trail.  Kansas City has been wonderful.  Here are just a few quick impressions:

- Spring looks good in Kansas City.  The same trees I saw blooming in the Ozark hills are blooming here, too, but within a controlled landscape.  Tulips add brilliant reds and yellows.  The fountains are going full stream.  I've been here before but I know I've seen more fountains on this trip.  People are out and about and the overall mood is upbeat and expectant.  Spring is here with all its new growth and hope for a bountiful harvest.  The harvest in the city comes in a different form, that's all.

- Mark and Lindsey were gracious hosts.  Happy Hour Friday with Lindsey's folks and brother.  New Orleans Jazz at the Drum Room.  Latte Land and Ingredient in the Plaza the following day for breakfast and lunch respectively.  The Art Museum.  Another Happy Hour with jazz.  Dinner at a tapas place whose name escapes me now but all was delicious.  Dessert at another restaurant - pecan pie with candied bacon ice cream.  It was far better than it sounds.  Sunday in Lawrence, another art museum, and more good food. 

I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  The kids are doing well and seem happy.  Kansas City has been good to them.  Now it's time to head out on my own.  What adventures lie ahead?  We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying reading your posts. Looking forward to more. Be safe. Barb

    ReplyDelete