Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming

I'm exhausted!  I've hiked a bit each of the last two days.  I've stopped to read historic markers, check out antique stores, and I've tried to take advantage of various museums and tourist stops.  The hiking, historic markers, and antique stores were not disappointing but museums and tourist stops have weird hours during April and many won't open until May.  A definite disadvantage of travelling in April, I guess, but I'd still choose to do it in April.  The weather has been grand, except for the never ending wind.  I've been able to find a room at each motel I've stopped at and the rates have been good.  While I would have enjoyed the museums, it's the land that is the attraction here and it's free and open 24/7.  I've lots of stories to tell but because I'm tired and have yet to have dinner, I'm just going to upload a few photos.  I'll write more another day.

Spring at the Art Museum in Kansas City

Lindsey, Bailey, and Mark relaxing on the museum lawn

Mark and Lindsey on KU's campus


This picture is out of order but it's a view of the Oregon Trail in Kansas

Mark and me, KUThe Oregon Trail Park outside St. Mary's, Kansas


Snake pretending to be a stick while predatory birds soar overhead.  Because I knew it wasn't a stick, I chose to backtrack rather than step over or go around.  I know, "What a wimp!"
Can you tell I was in Pony Express country?











Buffalo Bill Cody's home, closed in April.  The Golden Spike Tower, closed in April.  Note the flags.  That's how hard the wind was blowing, has been blowing, is blowing.  I can see how it drove some to madness.  It doesn't stop!  This is cattle country and wheat country, yes.  But it's also oil country and mining country, too.  The trains are numerous and very long and every car is filled with something.


Can you see the gully?  That was caused by the many settlers and their wagons.  Over time they created ruts which with wind and rain eroded to deep gullies.  I had pictured in my mind ruts like those I saw made by chariots in the stone streets of Pompeii so this was a little disappointing.  But then I looked around and realized the trials and tribulations settler families must have experienced.  It took them five and a half months to make the trip from Missouri to Oregon.  At this point they've had it easy.  I can see the mountains ahead and so must have they.

No comments:

Post a Comment