Friday, April 9, 2010

Days 3 - 7 Reconnecting

The last several days have been humbling and emotionally rewarding.  When I put together the plan to visit with cousins and aunts not seen for decades, I didn't have a clue what to expect.  I wouldn't have been surprised if at least a few of these visits were uncomfortable and awkward.  After all, other than the heritage we share, for all intents and purposes I am a complete stranger to most of these people.  However, I grossly underestimated the power of family ties.

The oldest (my 97 year old aunt), the youngest (my 57 year old cousin) and everyone inbetween greeted me with open arms and generous hospitality.  We shared memories of grandparents, aunts, and uncles while we perused both the pictures I brought and in some cases, the pictures they had.  While I have many stories to add to the family legend, I don't necessarily have more answers.  Our grandmother and her bizzare behavior continues to be a mystery.  Was she married three times or two?  Did she have more men in her life than that?  What were the first behaviors exhibited by our grandfather that led to his commitment?  Were these behaviors the result of Altzhemer's, a brain aneurysm, or Grandma's treatment of him?  What kind of man was he?  What did he die of? 

It's clear that the Seal boys had a hard childhood.  They were very poor.  What food couldn't be grown and canned could be hunted or caught.  But clothing, toys, incidentals -- those cost money.  I was told that there was so little money that the boys had to walk to school in the winter with their feet wrapped in rags.  There were no shoes.  Each worked hard for what little money they had.  Cutting railroad ties, running an illegal still, dropping out of school and lying about age to get into the CCCs -- nothing was beyond consideration.  As young men, each found a way to provide for themselves.  At least three of them were in the armed services.  Some held numerous jobs before settling into what would become their primary livelihood.  All exceeded  what might reasonably be expected given their lack of education and support from home.  And none forgot their austere background as reflected by how they handled their money in later life.  Each married and had a family.  They provided for that family and raised their children in such a way as to result in true affection, perhaps in some cases given grudgingly but given nonetheless. 

Of course there is so much more to share than what's above but for now, it will have to suffice.  When I get back from the trip, I'll go through all my notes and the pictures, organize them and avail myself of ancestry.com to find any other available historical facts.  As I reflect on it all, I will probably contact the various members of the family to ask clarifying questions.  I don't know what the final product will be but I know I will share it with everyone who helped me along the way.

Will I see each of these family members again?  Time and fate will have a say in that but I sincerely hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment