Friday, April 2, 2010

Day One - Michigan to Indiana

Date and Time:  April 2, 2010, 9:55
Mileage:  117466
Cost to fill up:  $2.99 per gallon.  $34.87
Arrived in Richmond, Indiana:  2:20
Route:  I 94 to US 127 to US 40

I particularly like travelling "blue" highways.  Two lanes lacking shoulders bring me close to the land and the people.  And unlike on the interstates, I see the wonders and the eyesores of American living upclose and personal.  With Easter this weekend, the occasional yard had been transformed into a Easter Bunny wonderland.  One yard in particular was so cluttered with pastel Easter eggs hanging from trees, inflated bunnies, plastic spring bouquets, and other Easter/spring paraphenalia that the newly green grass and real daffodils were overwhelmed.  And then there are the homes -- everything from dilapidated and abandoned to palatial with well manicured lawns, crystal lakes, and spewing foutains.  Three houses stood out for me.  One was decidedly the ultimate Victorian.  Gingerbread decorations, turret tops, wrap-around porch, stained glass -- if it hadn't been so large, I would have said it reminded me of the candy house in Hansel and Gretel.  Definite overkill.  That one was in town; the other two were wonderful Queen Anne farm houses surrounded by miles of fields.  One of them was three stories high!  Clearly these were the wealthy farmers of days gone by.  In addition to the acres and acres of empty fields waiting for spring disking and planting, there was no lack of livestock.  Shetland ponies in one lot, a goat herd in another, horses, cows, and chicken.  In fact, I passed a house-sized chicken.  Out in the middle of no where.  Just standing lookout I suppose. 

I passed a sign announcing I was entering a target zone.  I had no idea what that was but I think it may have something to do with the shields that were placed in front of the mailboxes along the road.  If I hadn't passed the turn off to Adrian not too far back, I might not have paid attention but, well, that and the religious and political signs of the area put me on alert.  "Repent"  "Get right with God"  "Jesus is the reason for the season"  This last one was held by a rotund young lady dressed in bright orange standing by the roadside.  "Legislators leave our constitution alone."  And then I passed the grave site of Annie Oakley.  Target zone?  Annie Oakley?  Maybe her ancestors are still practicing.

Richmond is a sleepy town.  Not small but not large.  Clearly not the town it once was.  I headed for the historic district, the jazz museum, and the chocolatier.  I'm sorry to report that the jazz museum was disappointing, not in the information it shared but in the display and artifacts.  The historic district has unrealized potential.  Perhaps in better economic times it will come alive.  Now, too many empty buildings and too much cutting corners weigh it down.  The chocolatier, Ghylain, however, was wonderful.  My lunch/dinner of an Italian baquette smeared with pesto, topped with chicken, fresh mozzarella, and basil leaves hit the spot.  And the dessert was to die for!  Quality chocolate, pistachio mousse, chocolate cake.  Perfect.  Tomorrow I plan to have breakfast at Paulee's, the oldest diner in Richmond.  In the meantime, with a full tummy, I headed for the Walk of Fame.

I asked for directions at the jazz museum.  At first it appeared no one was going to be able to help me but I was saved.  A very young salesman (the museum is located in a furniture store) drew a map for me and I was off.  I did find a park that looked like it might contain the walk but it also looked overgrown and disreputable.  I decided to return to the hotel, check on line for directions, and check it out in the daylight tomorrow after breakfast.

Mural on side of building in the historic districtThe old depotPaulee's, the oldest diner in RichmondAnother old building in the historic districtDesserts at Ghyslain's
Side of the building housing Ghyslain's as well as a wonderful Kitchen and Gourmet shop





No comments:

Post a Comment