Friday, October 15, 2010

Walking Thoughts

"Five minutes of exercise in a natural setting -- like walking in a park or even raking leaves in your backyard -- is all it takes to provide a boost in both mood and self-esteem, say researchers from the University of Essex in England.  Most powerful:  activity near water." Good Houskeeping, November 2010

This morning as I was walking, I passed a number of people.  Some young, some older.  I greeted each with eye contact, a smile, and a "Good Morning!"  Some responded and some didn't.

Now the day was glorious.  Clear blue sky, pleasantly crisp air, and the fall colors at their peak.  But for some of those I passed, these facts may not have been fully appreciated.  Most who didn't respond to my greeting were younger and all of those were hooked into some kind of listening device.  They may not have even heard me.  Or seen me for that matter.  Whether walking or running, their thoughts must have been  totally focused on what they were listening to and not to the world around them.  The older of those I passed were not all without devices but to a one, they acknowledged my greeting and reciprocated.  It made me wonder.

This walk was not without sound for me.  There was the singing of the tires of the myriad cars crossing the highway bridge not too far from where I was walking.  There was a gentle rustle of leaves when a breeze hit them right and the louder rustle of leaves on the path as I scuffed my feet through them.  There were distant calls of birds and the closer chirping of crickets.  I could hear voices near the river and farther in front of me, a group of students I soon passed (and no, they didn't respond to me either).   As I neared the dam, the rush of water was added to this morning walk symphony.  And this music, rather than demanding my attention and decreasing my awareness of my surroundings and the beauty therein, was an accompaniment, enhancing my enjoyment of my time in this space.  I wonder if those young people with their ears filled recognized just how gorgeous this day was.  I wonder if they recognize how much they are missing.  And even more, I wonder if they realize how fleeting it all is.  I wonder if they value this time, this space.  And yes, I wonder if they value those who share it with them. 

Small stuff, this but something I thought about as I headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment