Monday, October 25, 2010

Lessons Learned While Volunteering

I spent four hours Saturday volunteering for the Democratic Party.  My job?  I called 160 prospective voters to not only remind them to vote November 2nd, but to get a reading on how they might vote.  This was my first time doing this kind of thing.  To be honest, I hate the whole concept and when I get calls like this at home, resent the intrusion.  I fully expected to be hung up on or worse, to be cussed out.  As it turns out, I was only hung up on twice and no one was angry with me.  I learned a few surprising things through this experience.

Lesson one:  It felt good to be among people who care enough about this election to give of their time and energy.  It felt good to be among people who believed as I do.  It felt good to be among Democrats.  These were rational, caring people, my age, older, and younger.  They were diverse in ethnicity and gender.  While I didn't check any resumes, they all looked to be fully employed, productive citizens.  When I could listen in to conversations around me, it was clear that many were extremely well informed regarding the democratic process, the election, the issues, and the candidates.  I didn't see any "morons", "idiots", "slackers" or "traitors" -- all names I've read or heard the opposing party call those who support the Democratic platform.  Again, it was affirming to be among people of like mind.

Lesson two:  I need to be much better informed.  I know what I value and I have a vision of the world the way I believe it needs to be but I am woefully uninformed about the specifics of the candidates.  That's in part my own fault and in part the fault of media that deals in slogans and generalities and not specifics.  The specifics, I've learned, are there to be understood but I'm not going to find them on TV.

Lesson three:  Of the 160 calls I placed, I only got to talk to 38 people.  Answering machines and screening calls made it difficult to get a live person.  This fact helped me understand the need for door to door canvassig, a tactic I like less than the phone call.  Yet, I have learned why both are needed.  With limited funds, it is important to target those funds where there is the greatest need and chance for success.  To know that, polls have to be taken.  To hear from the people, you have to go to them.  Okay, I understand that now.

Lesson four:  Many of the people I called were in their 60's and up.  They are dedicated voters.  Most had already sent in their absentee ballot.  Those that hadn't knew about the election and fully intended to vote.  Some actually asked questions about some of the more obscure candidates, such as those running for the State Supreme Court.  Some wanted to know about specific issues.  Because I am not well informed, those callers were handed off to someone who knew more. 

Among these senior citizens, I encountered a couple who were diehard Democrats and proudly declared themselves so.  One was disappointed with the way things are going and abandoned the party.  One let me know in no uncertain terms which candidates she was voting for and which she was not.  Her ballot falls into the split category. 

Lesson five:  Some of the people I called were in the 30 to 50 age range.  They were less talkative.  They, like the seniors, fell into categories -- loyal Democrat no matter who was running, disenchanted Democrat voting Republican this election, independent thinker voting across the ticket to elect who they think would be best for the office.  This was the age range of the two hang-ups I got.  I think the seniors were more civil.  The middle agers, less so.

Lesson six:  I actually called some people who were over 90.  Some were hard of hearing making the whole call thing very difficult for them and me.  Some were as sharp as a tack.  One couple -- he 100; her 97 -- were new to the area and while definitely voting Democratic, wanted to know more about specific local candidates.  Very sharp.  One lady, 97, told me about falling recently and not being able to get around well and that she had an eye disease that was blinding her.  She said she didn't think she would be voting any more because she couldn't read for herself the positions the candidates were taking.  She didn't think she should vote under those circumstances.  When I wished her a good day, she told me, "Honey, I'm 97.  I don't think I've many more of those days left."  Clearly, being old, really old, doesn't slow everyone down or diminish thinking ability, but it does for some.

Lesson seven:  Of the young people I called, I found one who wasn't going to vote because she was going to be out of town that day and hadn't gotten an absentee ballot.  Another hadn't registered to vote.  Older folks had answering machines on land phones.  Younger folks had cell phones and calls directed to their voice mail.  I didn't get a good feeling about the level of voter turn out of this group.

So the question is, would I do this again?  Probably.  I might even participate in a neighborhood canvass at some point.  I know I'll keep helping out in some capacity.  It felt good.  I felt empowered.

No comments:

Post a Comment