Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Book of Awakening

I received the book, THE BOOK OF AWAKENING, as a Christmas gift this last year.  I confess it has stayed on the book shelf up until recently.  For no identifiable reason I pulled it off the shelf a couple of days ago and lo and behold, it has been a comfortable, supportive companion each day since.  Today's reflection began with the following quote from Goethe:  "So long as you haven't experienced this: to die and so to grow, you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth."  Just that thought alone was enough to give me pause, to take time to reflect. 

This past week I've used the word "synchronicity" several times because I've either experienced a sequence of seemingly unrelated events that seen as a whole were clearly related or such events in the lives of my friend were shared with me that were of the same kind.  That's what is at play again with today's passage.  I sent my sister, who is at a cross roads in her life, a card this past week that says something to the effect that you only start to grow when you reach the outer edges of your comfort zone.  This morning as I wrote an email to a friend, I mentioned that the greatest growth I've experienced has always followed my greatest discomfort.  And then I read the August 9th entry in this book and there it is, the quote and the daily reflection titled, "Preparing the Way".  The author likens living to a series of mini deaths.  Death of old habits, death of old ways of thinking, even the sloughing off of dead skin cells is part of living and growth. 

Each passage ends with suggestions for meditation.  This one asks the reader to "sit quietly and consider the many selves you have been.  As you breathe evenly, consider how the new self has always been growing underneath the old.  Now close your eyes and meditate on the newness growing within you right now.  As you breathe steadily, relax your grip on the habits of your mind that might be blocking your growth."  It's proved to be a peaceful way to enter into my day.  I thought I'd share it here so you, too, can benefit.

PS:  If you're interested in the book, it's THE BOOK OF AWAKENING by Mark Nepo. Conari Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment