Sunday, June 5, 2011

Just Another On the Road Drama

This morning as I drove to the nursery to pick up a few more flowers for my garden, I spied a truck pulled off to the side of the road.  As I got closer, I saw the driver's door open and glimpsed a pair of feet splayed out on the ground with a man squatting down facing them.  Once I was directly in front of them and beginning to pass, I could see that the feet belonged to a woman.  She was seated on the ground, elbows resting on her knees, head in her hands.  The man, as I said, was squatting in front of her, his arms extended, hands on each shoulder.  She looked despondent; he looked concerned.  I know, I know.  How can I come to that conclusion with only a passing glance?  All I can say is, the body language spoke loudly.

So, the rest of my drive and part of my day has been spent wondering about them.  What happened?  What brought them to a stop mid-trip?  Are they lovers?  Father/daughter?  Brother/sister?  Or just friends?  Were they even in the truck together?  Maybe she was on the ground and seeing her, he pulled over to see what was wrong?  Had they quarreled?  Did she just receive bad news?  A death in the family, a foreclosure, loss of a job...  Maybe she had too much to drink last night and in her hangover, needed to get grounded before getting sick.  Maybe they had just hit someone's pet.  Maybe he had just shared that he was breaking up with her, leaving her, having an affair...  Maybe she had just learned that he had testicular cancer...  The story possibilities are endless.  

Just another drama while on the road...

No comments:

Post a Comment